Nintendo announced a varied lineup of games during their August Indie World livestream. The regular showcase is dedicated to highlighting smaller projects coming to the Switch console.
Nintendo has revealed over 20 games during their August Indie World showcase. Some games are available to play right now. Others were given 2021 release windows. While it’s not the Nintendo Direct fans keep raving for, Indie World showed off some unique titles! Supergiant’s (makers of Bastion, Transistor) Hades began the show. It was followed by fresh-looking games like Raji: An Ancient Epic, Spiritfarer, and more. Sadly, no new information for Team Cherry’s Hollow Knight: Silksong. You can watch the entire video below:
For indie games you can play right now on Switch:
- Spiritfarer from Thunder Lotus
- Raji: An Ancient Epic from Nodding Heads Games and Super.com
- Takeshi and Hiroshi from Oink Games Inc
- Evergate from Stone Lantern Games / PQube Limited
Games coming later in 2020:
- Hades from Supergiant Games – Fall 2020. Will feature cross-save with PC version.
- Torchlight III from Perfect World Entertainment and Echtra Games, Inc.
- A Short Hike from Adam Robinson-Yu and Whippoorwill – August 18
- Manifold Garden from William Chyr Studio LLC – August 18
- INMOST from Hidden Layer Games and Chucklefish – August 21
- Hypnospace Outlaw from Tendershoot, Mike Lasch, ThatWhichIs Media, Xalavier Nelson Jr., and No More Robots – August 27. A demo is available.
- Struggling from Chasing Rats Games and Frontier – August 27
- Unrailed! from Indoor Astronaut and Daedalic Entertainment – September 23, 2020. A demo is available.
- Untitled Goose Game receives a free 2-player update releasing on Sept. 23. A physical version is coming to Nintendo Switch. More information on that will be revealed in the future.
- Going Under from Aggro Crab, Team17 Digital Limited – September 24
- The Red Lantern from Timberline Studio – Autumn 2020 (Watch our interview with Timberline Studio at PAX East 2020)
- Grindstone from Capybara Games – Autumn 2020
- GONNER2 from Art in Heart and Raw Fury – Autumn 2020
- Haven from The Gamer Bakers – Later 2020
Other indie titles set for a 2021 release:
- Garden Story from Picogram and Rose City Games
- Subnautica and Subnautica: Below Zero from Unknown Worlds Entertainment
- Bear and Breakfast from Gummy Cat Studio and Armor Games Studios
- Card Shark from Nerial / Devolver Digital – 2021
- She Dreams Elsewhere from Studio Zevere – Early 2021
Which games caught your eye? Personally, I’m adding Spiritfarer, Raji: An Ancient Epic, and Hades to my list. Each title are in the realm of some of my favorite genres. They also seem to be telling interesting stories that I would enjoy on-the-go. While Spiritfarer seems less of the games I like to play, its premise of transporting spirits to the afterlife is super interesting. The story, mixed with the art style, reminds me of Studio Ghibli films as well. The same goes for Takeshi and Hiroshi, a stop-motion RPG. The stop-motion art style isn’t for me, but the story of a teenage game developer trying to impress his younger brother sounds fun! Y’know what? I’ll just add that one to my wish list too. Why not?
If you’re looking to save a few bucks on these games, you’re in luck. Nintendo is also hosting an indie games sale. Titles like Dead Cells and Takeshi and Hiroshi are included. Check out the full list of games here.