It has been a long time since Baldur’s Gate has been mentioned this much on social media and forums. With the early access release of Baldur’s Gate 3 from Larian Studios last week, the buzz around this game is infectious. It has been over 20 years since the last installment in the legendary D&D franchise, and to say fans are excited is an understatement. A huge part of early access of course is tweaking, improving, and adding content that leads up to full release. Today, we learned what the first patch in Baldur’s Gate 3 will be and what specific problems it will be fixing.
Announced via an official community update on Steam, Baldur’s Gate 3’s first patch has officially gone live on PC via Steam and GOG. If you are playing on Mac or Stadia you will have to wait just a little bit longer as Larian continues to tweak the patch on those platforms. This first update to the game will focus primarily on polish and bug fixes. The key to a successful early access launch is taking in player feedback, which seems to be something Larian is focused on. With a large focus on fixing crashing caused by a variety of gameplay and UI prompts, this will likely be the first of many patches for the game. It will be exciting to see what the game will look like by the time it launches out of early access. You can find the complete patch notes below.
Baldur’s Gate 3’s First Patch
- Added polish and bug fixes to several in-game cinematics, such as Shadow Heart recruitment, Astarion recruitment and Volo’s Poem. (These will be ongoing throughout EA).
- Added minor text tweaks to various bits and bobs.
- Altered certain dialogue choices for different NPCs.
- Added extra combat tutorial messages to better explain the basics (let us know how you get on).
- Astarion no longer thinks Lae’zel inspected you at camp when she is not in your party. Quite rightly.
- Fixed a crash related to having the level up screen open while in a dialog.
- Fixed a crash related to dropping items from inventory.
- Fixed a rare crash that could happen at the start of combat.
- Fixed a possible blocking issue when using the transponder at the end of the tutorial twice.
- Fixed black screen issue when ending tutorial if the transponder was used by any character that is not the main player avatar.
- Fixed a possible blocking issue when reassigning characters to others players while in combat.
- Fixed an issue with lip sync not working correctly.
- Fixed several localization issues.
- Fixed combat UI not updating correctly when someone joined during combat.
- Fixed party shared gold and items not always working in dialog checks.
- Fixed summons from NPC’s getting stuck in combat.
- Fixed levelled up characters having duplicated racial and class features.
- Fixed not being able to level up to level 4 on a Zariel Tiefling Cleric of Light due to cantrip selection.
- Fixed text cut-off issues in several interfaces.
- Fixed party members getting stuck trying to open doors they run past.
- Fixed listening in to dialogs getting stuck in multiplayer, also causing players not being able to save.
- Fixed camp button being broken after closing the camp window with escape key.
- Fixed “end the day” multiplayer message being broken if a player closed it with an escape key.
- Fixed certain quests not having map markers.
- Fixed certain secret entrances incorrectly showing up on the map.
- Fixed incorrect player portraits in the lobby screen as more people joined.
- Fixed Cambion wings and Tiefling tail animations.
- Fixed map not centering correctly on player characters in smaller subregions.
- Fixed health values not being synced correctly to the Baldur’s Gate 3 twitch extension.
- Fixed superiority die not showing actual values when using abilities such as Menacing attack.
- Fixed minor issues with hair, skinning and textures on several models.
- Fixed lighting issue in owlbear cave.
- Fixed not being able to walk over corpses.
- Tweaked ragdolls to reduce the possibility of models exploding (or glitching. Idk how to explain it, but it’s spooky).
Have you been playing Baldur’s Gate 3? Let us know in the comments and don’t forget to check back for the latest gaming news and information.