It seems that the PlayStation 5 is not immune to inflation and its suggested RRP just went up around the world.
PlayStation 5 Price Hike Incoming
According to a blog post from Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE), global prices of PS5s just increased in select markets. This includes the United Kingdom, Mexico, Europe, China, Canada, Australia, and Japan.
The blog post noted, “The global economic environment is a challenge that many of you around the world are no doubt experiencing.”
Jim Ryan, President and CEO of SIE, added, “We’re seeing high global inflation rates, as well as adverse currency trends, impacting consumers and creating pressure on many industries.”
New PlayStation 5 RRPs
The new PlayStation 5 prices are:
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – €549.99
- PS5 Digital Edition – €449.99
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – £479.99
- PS5 Digital Edition – £389.99
- Japan (effective Sept. 15, 2022)
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – ¥60,478 yen (including tax)
- PS5 Digital Edition – ¥49,478 yen (including tax)
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – ¥4,299 yuan
- PS5 Digital Edition – ¥3,499 yuan
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – AUD $799.95
- PS5 Digital Edition – AUD $649.95
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – MXN $14,999
- PS5 Digital Edition – MXN $12,499
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – CAD $649.99
- PS5 Digital Edition – CAD $519.99
What do you think about the PlayStation 5 price hikes? Did you manage to get one ahead of the price increase? Does the news affect your future purchasing decision? If so let us know in the comment section below. Be sure to check back to Lords of Gaming for all your gaming news, analysis, reviews, and more!