Mutations/Perks Guide for Grounded
Grounded’s new content update has brought along perks to characters, called Mutations, and hopefully, this guide can help sort out any issue you may be having. Earlier today, on August 26th, Grounded’s very first content update went live via patch 0.2.0. This update brought along with it some much-needed quality of life improvements. Improvements such as objects having an aura around them when highlighted, making them easier to see which one is being targeted. Another example, of course, is the reason why you are here.
The new perks in Grounded called Mutations. These are found in the character’s status tab. There are thirteen total to be discovered, each bringing with it a unique buff that will help you in Grounded. Some only have a single-tier; some have three tiers. You can equip up to a maximum of three mutations, or perks, at one time. So make sure to switch them out when necessary depending on the situation!
Big thanks to YouTuber Jade PG, who managed to discover all of them in a concise manner of time and helped flesh out this article! Check out his video guide below, as well as a written guide detailing all the mutations/perks. Also, all tiered perks/mutations are stackable. Meaning all three tiers are applied from a single perk/mutation at the same time. So if you have unlocked all three tiers on a single perk/mutation, you use them.
- Buff Lungs – “You inhale and your cells burn bright with an enhanced energy capacity”
- Unlocked from “BURG.L” – 7000 science points: Maximum stamina increased
- Grass Master – “Like an insatiable lumberjack you’re becoming a living lawnmower. Your intimate knowledge of chopping grass allows you to topple them with increasing ease.”
- First-tier – Cut down 50 blades of grass
- Second-tier – Cut down 200 blades of grass
- Third-tier – Cut down 500 blades of grass
- Rock Cracker – “A path of destruction is left in your wake, and it’s clear that busting makes you feel good. Your little arms bring hammers down with an ever-growing efficiency.”
- First-tier – Smash 25 rocks
- Second-tier – Smash 60 rocks
- Third-tier – Smash 105 rocks
- Ant-nihilator – “The ant has become a familiar threat, and you begin to know your enemy inside and out. Death and devastation greet all ants that face you.”
- First-tier – Kill 15 ants: Increased damage to ants.
- Second-tier – Kill 45 ants: Increased damage to ants.
- Third-tier – Kill 100 ants: Damage taken by ants decreased.
- Lil Fist – “Your tiny limbs flail and crush upon foe after foe. With every swing, these bitty bones of yours harden, and muscles tighten.”
- Kill 50 creatures with your bare fists – Increased fist damage to creatures.
- Coup de Grass – “Discovering a beacon of hope in the darkness lifts your will to survive. Bursts of inspiration flash before your eyes in the heat of battle as you land blows one can only describe as lucky.”
- Discovered at the four-leaf clover: Occasionally grants extra crit damage. (5:00min mark on Jade PG’s video linked above)
- Juicy – “Like a true bookworm, you can’t resist a wall of text. An encyclopedia knowledge of beverage ingredients enriches you.”
- Find all five juice boxes: Reduces food and water gauge drain.
- Natural Explorer – “With each landmark found you gain a better understanding of the lay of the land. Your tiny feet traverse the yard like it’s the back of your hand.”
- First-tier – Find five landmarks: Slight movement speed increase.
- Second-tier – Find 20 landmarks – Slight movement speed increase.
- Third-tier – Find all 50 landmarks – Slight movement speed increase.
- Cardio Fan – “Exhausting your tiny body over and over again, your cells adopt a more efficient respiration process.”
- First-tier – Run out of stamina 100 times: Slight stamina regeneration.
- Second-tier – Run out of stamina 250 times: Slight stamina regeneration.
- Third-tier – Run out of stamina 500 times: Moderate stamina regeneration.
Read More: Grounded Finds Day One Success On Steam
- Reliable Friend – “Life in the lawn is filled with narrow escapes, and you’ve been right there for all of it. Your muscle memory, mixed with hope and determination, makes a harrowing rescue all the more probable.” CO-OP IS NECESSARY!
- First-tier – Revive a friendly player five times: Player revive rate slightly increased.
- Second-tier – Revive a friendly player 15 times: Player revive rate slightly increased.
- Third-tier – Revive a friendly player 30 times: Player revive rate moderately increased.
- Sharpshooter – “A film crawls across the surface of your eyes, allowing you to focus with deadly clarity. This deals increased damage with all bow type weapons.”
- First-tier – Kill 40 creatures with a bow
- Second-tier – Kill 100 creatures with a bow
- Third-tier – Kill 200 creatures with a bow
- Meat Shield – “Your size to meat ratio is off the charts, and you take hits like a champ.”
- Unlocked from “BURG.L” – 7000 science points: Maximum health increased.
- Fresh Defense – “A plume of mint dust envelopes you and sends a cool wave rippling through your skin. Cells activate a freshness layer to combat the sting of all that stinks and burns.”
- Found by mining mints near the central starting area: current effects unknown.
If you are looking for some guides to help you through the dangers of the backyard, we have you covered. For previous and current patch notes, you can also find them below. Grounded is out now on Xbox One and PC through Steam, the Xbox Store, and Xbox Game Pass.
- The best way to get berry leather
- How to find Grubs
- An extensive guide to building in Grounded
- How to make clay floors
- Level two hatchet in Grounded
- Survival Tips & tricks
- Where to find Nectar, Pollen, and Flower Petals in Grounded
- All the Armor Sets in Grounded (So Far)